Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Binge Watching

Wikipedia says, "Binge-watching, also called binge-viewing, is the practice of watching television for longer time spans than usual, usually of a single television show.  In a survey conducted by Netflix in February 2014, 73% of people define binge-watching as “watching between 2-6 episodes of the same TV show in one sitting.”   Binge-watching as an observed cultural phenomenon has become popular with the rise of online media services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime with which the viewer can watch television shows and movies on-demand."



I am a binge watcher and I like it.  For instance, I am very much interested in the program Gotham.  From the few snippets I have seen of this, it appears to be worth my time, which I value greatly.  Hence, I will binge watch instead of cable watch with all the planning and scheduling it will take to watch it as it is broadcast.  My Mondays, right now at least, are devoted to football.  



Now of course that forces me to be very attentive and very careful not to read or see any plot revelations.  I don't find this too hard to do thankfully.  And even if and when I do get a peak at the plot, it usually isn't a total spoiler.

My first experience with binge watching came with that perfect program, Breaking Bad.
I knew the story line before I watched any of it, and even knew some of the things the characters were doing, had done, before I first watched.  Yet neither of these things kept me from enjoying the program.  The acting was still excellent and the dialog amazing, even though I was aware of "what was coming next."


I also binge watched Sherlock with it's great cast and story line.


And I can't mention binge watching without listing House of Card.



I put Trued Detective, 



and Justified into the mix as well.



And binge watching isn't just for current shows.  Several older multi-seasonal programs are worth a binge, like West Wing,



 Twin Peaks, 



and Lost.






Some of the current programming I plan to put on my binge watch list are Penny Dreadful,



The Blacklist, 



Louie,



and maybe even Cosmos, though I usually save my "educational" program from elsewhere.



We have all this wonderful entertainment value because of the internet and what it does.
HBO Go, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, the sports channels, and now even some of the "main stream" programmers are figuring this out.  

So what have you binged watched and why?  What's on your list?







No comments: